Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Language Arts Ideas for Units

Option 1: I am thinking about designing a second grade unit for my literacy unit. The students are learning about different kinds of animals. I am thinking about designing a research unit on animals, with the finished product having the students write a non-fiction description of the animal, and an original poem. Once the students have composed these we would publish a wiki book that could be read by the kindergarten class down the hall. I think that having an audience for the writing would greatly improve the quality of the writing.

Option 2: Another option I am considering is using podcasts with a 3rd grade class. Since I have not used podcasts, I think this would be a fun challenge for me and potential students. Since the students are learning about writing instructions, that I could have students work in groups to write instructions for future students of the school. Since the students are new to the school building in 3rd grade, I am thinking it would be helpful to have a website of podcasts about expectations at the school. Embedded in this project I would want to students to interview classmates about different key terms such as respect, hard work and team work. They could also share these definitions with future students. I would have students publish both the podcast and the written information.

Option 3:


Option 4:


Option 5:

No comments:

Post a Comment