Saturday, January 24, 2009

TPCK in preservice teachers

In finishing Chapter 11 of the Handbook for TPCK for Educators, and after the meeting with technology leaders at the higher education institutions around Maine my brain is really puzzling through some concepts. As I think through these ideas I am thinking in two different ways. The first has to do with preservice teacher education, which I do think is a different beast than in-service teacher education/professional development. Even the book articulates the fact that there will be fundamental differences in how people understand and move towards the TPCK model based on their own experiences and prior knowledge.

In thinking about my work with preservice teachers, the following list is a list of big ideas to keep in mind as I plan for future course work. I hope to help students
  • develop an integrated knowledge base
  • think strategically
  • unleash creativity
  • think critically
  • "rethink, unlearn and relearn, change, revise, adapt" (p.225)
  • Understand research as part of the profession of education
  • Understand affordances and constraints about technology
  • Plan for the details needed when working with technology - seeing the forest and the trees in planning
  • Critical reflection
In order to accomplish these big goals I think I need to blend in more of these experiences and events to help students better develop in these areas.
  • Using case studies
  • Matrix planning - (p. 232) declarative, procedural, schematic, strategic vs. Content, Teaching and Student learning, Technology
  • Have students articulate pedagogical choices
  • Have them do more small group practice teaching and writing of that content
I feel like I have done a good job of bringing the students toward the center of the TPCK model, but a lot of that work has been done without the student realizing this. I realize I need to help students articulate the intersection, their ideas and their beliefs about the WHY it might work or works. By engaging in this discussion and reflection, and then articulation I would hope to help students build their advocacy skills that I think are so crucial for them as they enter the world of practicing educators.

No comments:

Post a Comment